Pet owners want what is best for their companions, and nobody likes to see their dogs suffer. The good news is that there is hope on the horizon. Quite a few studies have documented the effectiveness of CBD in mammals, such as this one here, as well as this one. If your dog isn’t living their best doggie life because of stress or anxiety, CBD could be the answer.
Why Anxiety Is Bad for Dogs
A commonly occurring question is why anxiety is bad for dogs in the first place. While a little nervousness in certain situations is totally normal, being anxious all of the time is harmful to your pet’s health. Here are just a few reasons this is:
- Anxiety can cause your dog to cease eating, which will result in weight loss or to eat too much, which can cause them to become obese. Weighing either too much or too little comes with additional health problems.
- They become unable to enjoy their lives.
- They may become irritable, restless, or otherwise seem aggressive because they lack another outlet for their feelings.
- They may feel like they are a “bad boy” because their anxiety upsets you. Contributing to this is the potential for wetting themselves or defecating in the home during high-stress situations.
- Dogs have the potential to lose hair, get sick more often, and become depressed when anxious for long durations.
What is CBD?
CBD, also known as cannabidiol, is one of two naturally occurring chemicals found in marijuana plants. It is important to note that it is not CBD, but THC which is responsible for the side effects most people associate with “getting high” from marijuana.
CBD can be bought in many places in a variety of forms. The most common form is an oil, but there are also tinctures, pills, edibles, and many other forms through which people (or animals) can make use of this. It is important, however, to purchase from a reliable source like Terravida, so you can be sure of the quality and safety of the product.
How It Works: The ECS
CBD is the only chemical currently known to man which has the ability to activate something called the endocannabinoid system – or ECS, for short. This system is found in all mammals, which is why CBD works on your dog in a very similar fashion to how it would work on you.
The ECS works with most other major systems in mammals. Among others, this includes the digestive, circulatory, and respiratory systems. It also assists people in relaxing and improves cognitive memory functions.